Nissan & Infiniti
EDARAN TAN CHONG MOTOR | Tel: (03) 4047 8788 | Website: www.nissan.com.my
Japanese Makes > Nissan & Infiniti > Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about? View modes: 
Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 18/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   What people have done is if they have a special number they want to keep, they buy a motorcycle and transfer the number to the motorcycle. Later on, when they buy a new car, then they transfer the motorcycle number to the new car and it gets the new number that the car was issued with. I guess you need to be rich to buy a motorcycle just to keep a number. It is necessary for the old vehicle to be sent to JPJ if you do a number transfer as they will want to inspect the chassis and engine number to ensure that it is correct otherwise there can be frauds.

public - 18/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   c'mon Chips...I guest your SA knew that U R "somebody" so U get all the best treatment [:p] but not for us, we R "nobody" [:(] Anyway, as for my case - paid extra $500 for the retention job, and all is ready within a couple of days (not sure what they do oso)...hahaha... [:D]

Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 17/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   You should do it directly so the new Latio immediately gets the old one you like, otherwise it may be complicated.

Site admin
Site admin

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   Not very expensive but can't remember.

DinKnight - 17/07/2007 0:00:00

Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   Dear Sifus, the JKK series just opened today, and according to my SA, the 8XXX number i wanted was tendered.[V] So I have to get another number plate now, since my car is due to arrive next week and I cannot afford to wait any longer. I am massively dissapointed to not be able to procure this this number. I would like to ask, how can I transfer the number plate from my old car which I am going to trade in (the old car is still in my possession until i receive my new car) to my new Latio. My old number plate has the number I wanted. Sentimental reasons. Can please let me know; 1. What are the ordeals or processes need to be taken. 2. How long the ordeal would last (and fastest it can be done.) 3. How much the whole ordeal would cost. Thanks guys.

Site admin
Site admin

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   It is not difficult. I have done it twice in my life. You will need to pay some admin fees but it is relatively 'painless'. Only thing is whether the salesman is willing to help you process, which he should.

DinKnight - 17/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   Thank you Mr Chips, I just told the SA to buy an alternative number plate. When I take delivery of the car, we will go and do the assignment at the JPJ and Puspakom (I think). I think even with the admin prices I have to pay, it will be worth the satisfaction of seeing a familiar number on my new Latio. p.s. My old number was also a transferred number plate. It is a JFE plate. First came on my dad's van, then my dad's/my Iswara, and now hope for it to go on my Latio. [:)]

cutester - 17/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?   Dear Chips, Is it expensive to transfer number plates and roughly how much will JPJ charge for swapping number plates between old and new?

joytoy - 17/07/2007 0:00:00

RE:Exchanging Car Number Plates - How to go about?  
quote:
Originally posted by Chips
Not very expensive but can't remember.
I remember someone (2nd hand dealer) told me this transfer can be done at about RM1,500+ excluding the price you pay for your required new number. This was probably about 3-4 year ago.

1 2