Nissan & Infiniti
EDARAN TAN CHONG MOTOR | Tel: (03) 4047 8788 | Website: www.nissan.com.my
Japanese Makes > Nissan & Infiniti > Sylphy problem View modes: 
kelkong - 27/10/2009 0:00:00

RE:Sylphy problem   just sent this letter to TC and hopefully they'll reply before my service this weekend... i come to understand that the earlier batch of Sylphy got steering joint assembly problem thus resulting in free play and sound coming from it. From friends and forum, i realised that certain service center offer replacement of the steering assembling joints while the one in PJ only offer coupling replacement but based on feedback, that doesn''t solve the sound and issue. As i am going to send my car for servicing this weekend in PJ and i am certain that my car steering sound is due to joint assembly, may i know if it is this problem, am i going to be offered the same coupling or replacement of the joint assembly. If i am only going to be offered the coupling replacement in which i know for certain it wouldn''t solve the problem, i wouldn''t want to waster TC and my time to go to PJ branch but other branches instead in which i know for certain they will replace it. Please advice before 30/10 before my appointment on 31/10. Also if it is going to be replaced, any estimate how long it will take? Thank you in advance.

RE:Sylphy problem  
quote:
Originally posted by maplephy
quote:
Originally posted by whyyew
Maplephy, may i know where you sent your car for steering shaft replacement? I have tried service centres in Ipoh and PJ, they only advice change of coupling. They have not heard of any steering shaft change and have been adviced by their hq on the coupling replacement only. I have reported steering knocking problem to PJ service centre in my last service and not sure what they have done as it only last for few weeks only before it comes back.
Hi whyyew(If your real name is YewWai, then you could be my ex-colleague, ahaha.) Tell your SC to check the "Joint Assy, Steering" for any free-play. The part is located right underneath the steering wheel, it doesn't look like a coupling to me but more like a tele-scopic shaft with angle-joint at both ends. Otherwise, you can refer to TCEAS(behind Nissan Showroom) at Jalan Batu Tiga, Off Jalan Sungai Rasah, Klang near PUSPAKOM & JPJ Padang Jawa, Klang. Ask for Mr.Wong technical advisor, he verified my steering part faulty. Good luck
I think there is some miscommunication on the term used. It is not a shaft but a coupling. It does look a shaft with joint. Just checked by TC PJ and ordering require 2-3 weeks from Japan. Check the illustration in the url: https://w05.dealerconnect.chrysler.com/service/mds2002/serviceInfo/en_US/80b5cb88.gif

RE:Sylphy problem   since our Sylphy is drive by wire,this is why it is not a shaft but a coupling: Steer-by-wire The aim of steer-by-wire technology is to completely do away with as many mechanical components (steering shaft, column, gear reduction mechanism, etc.) as possible. Completely replacing conventional steering system with steer-by-wire holds several advantages, such as: -The absence of steering column simplifies the car interior design. -The absence of steering shaft, column and gear reduction mechanism allows much better space utilization in the engine compartment. -The steering mechanism can be designed and installed as a modular unit. -Without mechanical connection between the steering wheel and the road wheel, it is less likely that the impact of a frontal crash will force the steering wheel to intrude into the driver's survival space. -Steering system characteristics can easily and infinitely be adjusted to optimize the steering response and feel.

elwe - 26/10/2009 0:00:00

quote:
Dear all I would like to share with you guys what I regret & Happy about Nissan. Lets talk about regret: I sold my 2001 GXE 1.8 N16 too early in 2008 because the car condition was still very good. I bought the Sylphy a bit too early(first batch from ETCM) without much of discount given. happy: Enjoy the comfort of Sylphy, low maintenace & low FC for long distance travelling. Believe me not, I just did my 40k km Major-service last week, the damage was only RM 213.00 excluding engine oil(own Castrol). I save money in: 1) No Timing belt replacement <> RM 400+ 2) No steering fluid is required 3) No need to replace X-CVT transmission fliud, it can last upto 100,000km <>RM 200+(price for 4-AT oil) 4) No replacement of Platinium spark plug(last upto 100,000km) <> RM70+ 5) Skipped wheel alignment & balancing <>RM 60+ because my tires are wearing off evenly, left 20%+ almost due for replacement. 6) Skipped engine tuning <> RM80+, still getting 16km/L++ for long distance travelling, engine is smooth & powerful with RON95, unlike those mentioned in T forum, complaint about power-lost below http://forum.autoworld.com.my/index.php?showtopic=91334 . 7) Skipped brake fluid replcement & service <> RM80+, because last service just done in 30k km. Conclusion: Sylphy's maintenance is somehow cheaper than my ex-Sentra. During the last 40k km, the TCEAS at Jln Sungai Rasah, Klang confirmed my car's steering shaft got "free-play" that causing the knocking noises I complaint all these while. Yes, that's the only defect she has since day-one & the SC rekon this is a manufacturing defect on some early-batches of Sylphy. Today turned to be my smoothest Sylph-day after the "Steering Joint Assembly(tele-scopic steering shaft about 12" in length)" is finally replaced under their warranty. I personally witness the newly improved Joint Assembly(with new batch-code engraved on the shaft) has made my Sylphy even smoother than her day-one in July last year! It is really unbelieable! After the replacement, not just the knocking noises from Steering shaft has gone, humming noises on rough/uneven roads, braking-noises at slow speed & some other irritating noises are also gone together. The cabin overall noises has been reduced further and I feel like driving on another new & virgin car!!! Gosh! Most of the unwanted noises were actually produced by the defective steering-shaft! NOT so much on the brake-pads, suspension, shock-absorber, anti roll-bar nor the lower arm which I have been guessing all this while! Great! my car is zero-defect now and I trust ETCM should have started to produce higher quality cars! You guys are luckier than me, can get better quality car and better discount with current promotion! cheers
maphephy, 40,000 km servicing cost at only rm213? base on the info board at the SC, its definately cost more then this. besides, the info was also posted on the web as well: http://www.tceas.com/service/service-menu-price.html rgds,

maplephy - 25/10/2009 0:00:00

RE:Sylphy problem   Hi elwe No need to try luck, both TCEAS SC at Batu 3, Klang & Glanmarie,Shah Alam has confirmed with me that some early batch have this "Steering Joint Assembly" problem. Get them to verify it & get a free replacement. The symptom is when your steering turn to maximum right or Left, by driving forward or back-ward SLOWLY, the TUK-TUK noises will sound, simply caused by the "free-play" inside the steering joint-rod! Greasing this rod won't help at all. good-luck

elwe - 24/10/2009 0:00:00

quote:
quote:
Maplephy, may i know where you sent your car for steering shaft replacement? I have tried service centres in Ipoh and PJ, they only advice change of coupling. They have not heard of any steering shaft change and have been adviced by their hq on the coupling replacement only. I have reported steering knocking problem to PJ service centre in my last service and not sure what they have done as it only last for few weeks only before it comes back.
Hi whyyew(If your real name is YewWai, then you could be my ex-colleague, ahaha.) Tell your SC to check the "Joint Assy, Steering" for any free-play. The part is located right underneath the steering wheel, it doesn't look like a coupling to me but more like a tele-scopic shaft with angle-joint at both ends. Otherwise, you can refer to TCEAS(behind Nissan Showroom) at Jalan Batu Tiga, Off Jalan Sungai Rasah, Klang near PUSPAKOM & JPJ Padang Jawa, Klang. Ask for Mr.Wong technical advisor, he verified my steering part faulty. Good luck
Hi whyyew and maplephy, may i know the steering knocking sound that you have experienced is the 'tuk tuk' sound what you are doing a bigger turning of your steering? if it is, then i am also having the similar problem thus far. my situation exactly like whyyew, send to PJ HQ twice to get this fixed, but it still come back, they didn't replace anything but just say they put some grease on it.. i am clearly not happy with the way that they solved the problem even i have mentioned about the coupling thingy, but they don't seems to acknowledge it and to do a check. looks like i have to try my luck in the klang service center in the next service interval. rgds,

noname78 - 14/10/2009 0:00:00

quote:
I am sending my Slyphy for 40K service and came across few services required and not sure whether what is it about and how critical of the services. Thus, appreciate if anyone who had done or understand of those listed services to shed some lights. 1. Engine tune up 2. ECCS- consult diagnosis
Engine Tune Up and ECCS under same package. All their did is to plugs-in a reader device into your ECU slot, it will read whether your airbag, engine timing and all electronic went alright or not. if not, they will adjust it and etc. Mostly will need to do it every 20,000km... but service advisor always ask to do on every 10,000km. you can reject them and asking to do 20K km... your choice.

maplephy - 14/10/2009 0:00:00

quote:

whyyew - 14/10/2009 0:00:00

RE:Sylphy problem   I am sending my Slyphy for 40K service and came across few services required and not sure whether what is it about and how critical of the services. Thus, appreciate if anyone who had done or understand of those listed services to shed some lights. 1. Engine tune up 2. ECCS- consult diagnosis Maplephy, may i know where you sent your car for steering shaft replacement? I have tried service centres in Ipoh and PJ, they only advice change of coupling. They have not heard of any steering shaft change and have been adviced by their hq on the coupling replacement only. I have reported steering knocking problem to PJ service centre in my last service and not sure what they have done as it only last for few weeks only before it comes back. Thanks in advance.
quote:
Dear all I would like to share with you guys what I regret & Happy about Nissan. Lets talk about regret: I sold my 2001 GXE 1.8 N16 too early in 2008 because the car condition was still very good. I bought the Sylphy a bit too early(first batch from ETCM) without much of discount given. happy: Enjoy the comfort of Sylphy, low maintenace & low FC for long distance travelling. Believe me not, I just did my 40k km Major-service last week, the damage was only RM 213.00 excluding engine oil(own Castrol). I save money in: 1) No Timing belt replacement <> RM 400+ 2) No steering fluid is required 3) No need to replace X-CVT transmission fliud, it can last upto 100,000km <>RM 200+(price for 4-AT oil) 4) No replacement of Platinium spark plug(last upto 100,000km) <> RM70+ 5) Skipped wheel alignment & balancing <>RM 60+ because my tires are wearing off evenly, left 20%+ almost due for replacement. 6) Skipped engine tuning <> RM80+, still getting 16km/L++ for long distance travelling, engine is smooth & powerful with RON95, unlike those mentioned in T forum, complaint about power-lost below http://forum.autoworld.com.my/index.php?showtopic=91334 . 7) Skipped brake fluid replcement & service <> RM80+, because last service just done in 30k km. Conclusion: Sylphy's maintenance is somehow cheaper than my ex-Sentra. During the last 40k km, the TCEAS at Jln Sungai Rasah, Klang confirmed my car's steering shaft got "free-play" that causing the knocking noises I complaint all these while. Yes, that's the only defect she has since day-one & the SC rekon this is a manufacturing defect on some early-batches of Sylphy. Today turned to be my smoothest Sylph-day after the "Steering Joint Assembly(tele-scopic steering shaft about 12" in length)" is finally replaced under their warranty. I personally witness the newly improved Joint Assembly(with new batch-code engraved on the shaft) has made my Sylphy even smoother than her day-one in July last year! It is really unbelieable! After the replacement, not just the knocking noises from Steering shaft has gone, humming noises on rough/uneven roads, braking-noises at slow speed & some other irritating noises are also gone together. The cabin overall noises has been reduced further and I feel like driving on another new & virgin car!!! Gosh! Most of the unwanted noises were actually produced by the defective steering-shaft! NOT so much on the brake-pads, suspension, shock-absorber, anti roll-bar nor the lower arm which I have been guessing all this while! Great! my car is zero-defect now and I trust ETCM should have started to produce higher quality cars! You guys are luckier than me, can get better quality car and better discount with current promotion! cheers

kelkong - 12/10/2009 0:00:00

RE:Sylphy problem   did u had to argue with them to have the shaft replaced? do we have to order in advance or it is ready stock?