Ria & Carnival
For Naza Ria and Kia Carnival discussions
Naza-Kia > Ria & Carnival > Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone View modes: 
public - 11/01/2005 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   I've just read copious comments on Silverstone Kruizer 1 in the Autoworld forum. I was amazed that all comments are positive. For those who are about to change tyres, I highly recommend to give Silverstone Kruizer 1 a try. I'm very sure you won't regret it. If you want to read comments on it, you can visit this forum adress: http://www.autotrade.com.my/forum/allposts.asp?summary=1&Forum=ap309675587&access=1&status=1&Subject=Silverstone+Kruizer+1&Closed=&page=8 Here are some of the comments which I took from the forum: posted on 12-Apr-04 16:34 [edited 0 times] [edit] [delete] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi all, I did purchase the silverstone kruizer for my alfa 164 2 weeks ago and had it tested on my many trips from KL-Penang-KL in various road conditions and climate. My comment is that its a great tyres for its price! cruising at 200+km/hr in dry and wet days is a brisk. Very minimal gave-away in raining days and its a quiet and smooth tyre. The tyres do stick to the road like its been riverted to it! posted on 5-Apr-04 4:00 [edited 1 times] [edit] [delete] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi guys... as promised a mini review of the Kruiser1 tyres by Silverstone which I had a chance to check out this last weekend. First let me state that this was never going to be a fair contest. The control/reference tyres were Yokohama Aspec A300s which are about the quietest and most comfortable tyres money can buy this side of RM200 each. The Yokos were also brand new and of 185/65/14 size whereas the Kruisers were 50% worn with most of its shoulder block ribs worn away and were of potentially noisier 195/60/14 size. Next, Zul (the owner of the Kruiser-equipped 405) has a bent front rim and some worn lower arm bushes. So note that the cards are stacked very heavily against the Kruisers and whatever comparison I`m going to make here is very very harsh on Silverstone`s finest. On to the test drive..... I was immediately taken by how comfortable these Kruisers were. Minor road undulations and those annoying painted strips were soaked up and noise was very well suppressed. Admittedly the Yokos were noticeably better in both departments but not by much. Not by much at all. In fact I`d say the Kruisers were more directly comparable to the sportier Yokohama A539 (fitted to Zulfa`s 405 SRi which I test-drove a while back) than the A300s in this respect. There isn`t an awful lot I can say about grip and handling characteristics given that I was driving somebody else`s car on public roads (and the residents of Taiping weren`t awfully cooperative when it came to getting out of the way) but the few corners I could throw the car at were handled very well. The Kruisers were pretty communicative and stable but as I say I didn`t get the chance to explore it at the limits of adhesion. From what I could feel during the drive I suspect that they`ll turn out to be pretty grippy and predictable. Tyre wear was also hard to gauge. Zul claims to have covered something like 15,000 km on them which seems to be a little on the low side given the amount of wear but I do know for a fact that he drives like a madman and slowing down for corners is something that he has yet to get his mind around. Net-net this is a very convincing tyre and Silverstone should be congratulated for producing something which is quite probably head and shoulders better than anything else produced by them thus far. In fact I`m pretty comfortable saying that they are far and away superior in all respects save perhaps for wear to the Goodyear NCT5 (which the A300s replaced on my car), Goodyear NCT3s which were fitted onto HalimSr`s 406DLX which I rode in when taking a little side trip up to Penang and various other local/budget tyres I`ve experienced over the years. Overall I think this tyre is worthy of our support and can be considered as an alternative to the passenger-grade Yokohamas, Kumhos and Falkens as well as say the Dunlop LM 702s, Michelin Certis and other tyres of that ilk. This is saying a lot as these are all tyres which are arguably a cut above what we usually associate with "local" tyres from local manufacturers. I`ve had some pretty dismal experiences with offerings from some local brands (Silverstone included) as well as some locally produced "branded" tyres I won`t mention. However from my limited test drive I believe the Kruiser is set to challenge my perceptions and up my expectations. Definately on the short list when the time comes to replace the A300s. Cheers DIRAVI posted on 14-Sep-04 8:46 [edited 0 times] [edit] [delete] -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Silverstone Kruizer 1 NS 500, worry at first when installing the tires due to limited reviews. Now I give 2 thumbs up!! one for the vibration and dampening ability,2ndly for the noise supression technology which is really working and it is better than a European brand which I used before. Noise intrusion on tarmac road is no longer audible though humming effect on concrete road is there but very much lower. Conering linearity is like on the rail with very little amount of "goyang-goyang" or sway at the above average speed, wet traction pretty good there. This may not be the 1st attempt by Silverstone to market the tire to Continental makes, but this time they are quite succesful --------------- Malaysia Peugeot Owner & Enthusiast Club

karyeowl - 06/01/2005 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   fido I have not check if Kumho ECSTA KH11 has our odd tire size in Malaysia. In USA, the size is available. Must check with the tire importer. Regards Lim

public - 05/01/2005 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   karyeowl, Do you know how much is the Kumho ECSTA KH11? Mine came with Kumho too and I can see that they are touring tyres. Touring tyres have high treadwear of T=400. I guess they will last for a while. Quite happy with them so far. fido
quote:
Originally posted by karyeowl
Dunlop is now owned by Sumitomo Rubber, i.e. they are Japs. Only in Malaysia, Dunlop is marketed by DMIB... which has a SIMEX brand. Continental is the latest joint venture for DMIB... Kumho ECSTA KH11 is Korean, and they are preety good tires... trust me!

flee - 02/01/2005 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   Yes u are lucky. The Kruizer 1 has received a lot of good reports. So just stick to them and see how far u can go before changing tyres...

public - 02/01/2005 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   TQ for all the advices Just send my beloved RIA for 1000km service. Regarding the tyres, I received my RIA equipped with SILVERSTONE KRUIZER NS 500.... I was really suprised how quite it is(really reminds me the quiteness of Bridgestone Turanza ER30 which I've been using for my Perdana). When I went for balancing and alignment, I was told by the owner of the tyre services centre that I was lucky to have my Ria fitted with the KRUIZER. He explained that the quality of the KRUIZER is at par with CONTINENTAL since both are developed using the same NOISE SUPPRESSION TECHNOLOGY with silica compound. So far, I'm very satisfied with it and will stick to the same brand.

public - 22/12/2004 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   Hi karyeowl Korean car goes for korean tyres?!?![;)] "Kumho ECSTA KH11" is cheap and good grip? May I know how much does it costs and is there other alternatives? I am looking more at replacing existing original tyres and rims for my RIA to Yokohama ASPEC dB with chrome spot rims (my husband eyeing those for a very long time since we got our RIA in Sept 04[:p]) If Kumho ECSTA KH11 is really a better and economical choice, then may forsake Yokohama and replace with Kumho.

camry - 22/12/2004 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   I don't know if this is of any help here. I drive a Camry. Had only used 2 type of tyres before. Both very lasting, good grip and quiet. The first was Yokohama Aspec A300. The other is Dunlop LM701, imported model from Japan. The Dunlop LM701 was really lasting. I did almost 100,000 km before changing while still in good condition. I changed to LM702 after that. So far so good.

Ltc_Bev - 22/12/2004 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   Get the Kruizer as at least it has Silica compound. Better try other makes from Japan preferably if you better quality. I have used the Yokohama AVS ES100 and Falken ZE-326. Both from Japan and very good performance with the ES100 sportier drive and sslight advantage in the wet. Fro ultimate comfort get the Yokohama AVS DB.

karyeowl - 21/12/2004 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   Dunlop is now owned by Sumitomo Rubber, i.e. they are Japs. Only in Malaysia, Dunlop is marketed by DMIB... which has a SIMEX brand. Continental is the latest joint venture for DMIB... Kumho ECSTA KH11 is Korean, and they are preety good tires... trust me!

public - 21/12/2004 0:00:00

RE:Tyres: dunlop vs simex vs silverstone   according to my cousin who works in tyre industry, dunlop & sime tyres are under the same management/group. dunlop brand is more for overseas market, wherelse, sime tyres is for local market. dunlop rv70 is exactly the same as sime tyres rv25. later on, dunlop will be faced off and will be dominated by continental. i do agree very much with karyeowl, don't "jeopardised" ur beloved "2nd. wife" ... ehehe ... tyre is the important element of carrying load, absorbing vibration, comfortibility, etc. u have to calculate all the related parts when uopt for lower profile, i.e. bearings, crank shaft, alignment, etc. Kumho ECSTA KH11, is it a korean tyre?