General discussions
General discussions
Motoring in Malaysia > General discussions > How many assembly plants in Malaysia? View modes: 
Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 02/10/2007 0:00:00

RE:How many assembly plants in Malaysia?   I think the KPKK I mentioned was KMA. Oh yeah, I remember one more thing about assembly plants. When Eric Chia was negotiating for UMW to take over the Toyota franchise in 1982, he bought the Fiat plant in Johor (which was earlier the GM plant, I think) as a back-up plan in case he could not acquire the ASSB plant in Shah Alam which was owned by Inchcape, which then held the franchise. He was willing to show the Japanese what he was prepared to do and I think he also held the Fiat franchise for a very short while.

cvchua - 02/10/2007 0:00:00

RE:How many assembly plants in Malaysia?   one more in sabah. There is Kinabalu Motor Assembly (KMA) which assembles Isuzu truck (invader and i think trooper). I think they started in the early 90s and somewhat stop assembling isuzu in the mid / late 90s. Now the same facility is assebling china's lorry...

Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 29/09/2007 0:00:00

RE:How many assembly plants in Malaysia?   OK, here's the story of assembly plants in Malaysia. The first one was Swedish Motor Assemblies in 1967, which assembled Nissan, Volvo and later on Alfa Romeo, Daihatsu. Land Rover and Suzuki. In the late 1960s, the Inchcape Group also set up ASSB, also in Shah Alam, and it assembled a great variety of makes and models - Chevrolet, Toyota, Hino, Land Rover, VW. In fact, at one stage, it was having the largest volume. Other plants that followed were Associated Motor Industries (AMI) which did Ford (and still does), also in Shah Alam. It also assembled Mercedes for a while and now does for BMW. In PJ, there was also one assembly plant called Asia Automobile Industries which was a j-v between local Asia Motors, Peugeot and Mazda. It was situated behind the Cycle & Carriage showroom complex next to the Federal Highway - at that time in the 1970s, that was the edge of PJ. Later on, C&C bought it over and assembled lorries but it is gone today. There was also the Tan Chong plant in Segambut which was opened in 1978. That plant had the first paint-dip facility in Malaysia. Besides Nissan, it assembled Audi, Renault and Subaru and also did the painting for Mercedes-Benz in the late 1990s. Down south, GM had a plant which assembled Opels and some other makes and it was later sold to Oriental which then assembled Hondas, Peugeots and Mercedes. On the East Coast, TATA had a plant in the early 1980s to make its lorries in Pekan. That was bought over by the late Tan Sri Yahya's group in 1984 and was enlarged to the complex it is today. It assembled Citroen, Mitsubishi, Isuzu trucks and buses and even the Proton Juara, Satria, Iswara and Putra. Today, it also assembles Mercedes-Benz and Suzuki. In East Malaysia, there were two plants. In Sabah was KPKK which did Nissan logging trucks and Isuzu pick-ups (think it is closed down) and in Kuching was Sarawak Motor Industries which assembled the Toyota Land Cruiser, BMW and Skoda (the very old one) up till the mid-1980s. Also closed down. 1985 saw Proton setting up its plant in Shah Alam and 1994 was Perodua in Rawang. In the late 1990s, Naza also set up a plant in Gurun. This decade saw Honda building a plant in Pegoh, Melaka, and of course, Proton building its second plant in Tg Malim. Tan Chong began operations at its second plant outside Rawang this year and it does the Latio and will do the Grand Livina too, I believe. Basically, an assembly plant assembles cars from CKD packs which contain all the parts, including the body panels, that come from factories in other countries. A CKD pack is like a Tamiya model box of parts. The plants of Proton and Perodua are manufacturing plants because they also do body stamping (which is a very expensive investment) as well as engine manufacture and assembly. In the original Ford plant in America, it was so huge that iron ore went in on one side and cars came out on the other - in between, everything was made by Ford in its own factories.

public - 28/09/2007 0:00:00

How many assembly plants in Malaysia?   Dear forumers. Have been very curious about the actual number of car assembly plants in Malaysia. As I understand Inokom - Kedah Naza - Gurun Proton - Tg Malim what about the rest? Thanks for the help [:)]

Setapakian - 28/09/2007 0:00:00

RE:How many assembly plants in Malaysia?   Proton's Tanjong Malim plant should be a manufacturing plant. I am not sure whether Honda's Malacca plant, TCM's Segambut and Serendah plants are considered assembly plant as well. Oriental's plant in Tampoi is another one I can think of, which assembled Merz (before Pekan's plant was open), honda and Peugeot 406. Now, should be the Hyundai CKD range. BTW, this is MTM's AOB, so this topic should be move to General Industry Chat, which will be more suitable.