General discussions
General discussions
Motoring in Malaysia > General discussions > Car ownership transfer procedure View modes: 
seng - 17/08/2010 22:10:57

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure   As we understand, now all transfer ownership need to do inspection in PUSPAKOM since 2007. What about insurance cancellation of previous owner and purchase of new insurance for current owner?

For insurance cancellation? The previous owner need to cancel it manually?
For buying new insurance, the buyer have to do it before ownership transfer in JPJ. So, is the buyer can only buy the insurance after cancellation?

jeff_sin - 03/08/2009 0:00:00

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure   is it possible to transfer the insurance NCB to new buyer? (the owner is willing to let go), how is it going to do so?

charsiewpau - 10/06/2006 0:00:00

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure   That's useful info.. MTM should start archiving/stickying these stuff, provided they are organised, and posters should actually post the resolutions on the first post, so other posters don't need to skim through individual posts for the solutions.

777to744 - 09/06/2006 0:00:00

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure   Update of the above procedure: Did a mutual seller/buyer ownership transfer at JPJ recently. Items to be presented at JPJ: 1. RM100 postal order. 2. A4 sized photocopy of IC (seller & buyer), front & back on the same page. 3. Car Registration Card of course. 4. 2 copies of Form JPJK3 (filled & signed by both parties. Forms can be downloaded from internet. Don't mistaken JPJK3 for JPJK3A which is for deceased owner.) 5. Presence of seller & buyer at JPJ. If the seller cannot be present, he/she has to sign another JPJ form titled 'Surat Akuan' (which is available from JPJ, not online, or from any Commissioner of Oath) in front of a Commissioner of Oath as well as have the commissioner verify and stamp the photocopy of IC. Any other letter from the C of O is not valid. After that, the buyer's presence alone at JPJ is adequate to complete the transfer. Asked an agent at JPJ how much they charge if they were to do it for me, RM130. These agents have got all the forms ready, even blank 'Surat Akuan' signed and stamped by commissioner of oath! Yamseng!

777to744 - 31/05/2006 0:00:00

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure   Hi Chips, Thanks for the quick reply to the questions. I have a clearer picture now of what to do, won't be walking into a dark room anymore. Much appreciated. Yamseng!

Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 31/05/2006 0:00:00

RE:Car ownership transfer procedure  
quote:
Originally posted by 777to744 1. Does she need to be at JPJ to sign borang JPJK3A or can I present the signed form together with the buyer without her being there?
I don't think she needs to be present. I have signed transfer forms when trading-in my old cars and never ever had to go to JPJ. However, it may be a good idea to bring along a photostat copy of her IC just in case they ask for it.
quote:
2. Besides the JPJK3A form which can be downloaded from the internet, car registration card and insurance cover note, what other documents are needed for the transfer?
From you as a seller, I don't think any others are needed but the buyer will need some other forms.
quote:
3. Does the buyer need to purchase insurance or how do I transfer the remaining insurance to her/him?
You cannot transfer insurance coverage. You should inform your insurance company that the car is being sold off and that coverage should be terminated. Depending on the months left, you may get a refund for the unused months. The insurance company will write to JPJ to notify them that insurance coverage under your name for the car has terminated. The new buyer must buy insurance coverage under his name. The covereage term will be for a year which means that it won't match the roadtax period so when the roadtax expires, the new owner will have to cancel the old insurance policy and get a new one at the same time which can then match the roadtax period, otherwise he has to buy an extra year's coverage to get the new roadtax because the new roadtax won't be issued unless there is coverage for the entire period.
quote:
4. Is the transfer fee still RM120? Who pays, seller or buyer?
Not sure how much it is now but it's something you negotiate with the buyer. Anyone can pay.
quote:
5. Any idea how much does a car dealer charge to do the above and how long will it take? I heard that it will take months but if we do it ourselves it will be settled on that day itself.
It should not take months, maybe a week. Don't know why when it would take you only a couple of hours if you go yourself. The dealer may charge a small fee which they give to their 'runner'.

777to744 - 30/05/2006 0:00:00

Car ownership transfer procedure   Hi gals and guys, My wife just sold her car and I'm doing the transfer for her. The buyer and I are doing the transfer ourselves. Need help on a few questions. 1. Does she need to be at JPJ to sign borang JPJK3A or can I present the signed form together with the buyer without her being there? 2. Besides the JPJK3A form which can be downloaded from the internet, car registration card and insurance cover note, what other documents are needed for the transfer? 3. Does the buyer need to purchase insurance or how do I transfer the remaining insurance to her/him? 4. Is the transfer fee still RM120? Who pays, seller or buyer? 5. Any idea how much does a car dealer charge to do the above and how long will it take? I heard that it will take months but if we do it ourselves it will be settled on that day itself. Any personal experience regarding the above will be much appreciated. Thank you all in advance. Yamseng!