Toyota Hilux
Toyota Hilux
SUVs & Pick-Ups > Toyota Hilux > How important is the TIMING BELT on hilux View modes: 
jhayi - 01/03/2011 11:48:21

RE:How important is the TIMING BELT on hilux   Thanks...much appreciate the info.

Rgds
Jhayi
jhayi (Melaka)

Site admin
Site admin
Chips - 28/02/2011 17:10:05

RE:How important is the TIMING BELT on hilux   The timing belt controls the movement of the valves up and down precisely and if it snaps, then the valves can drop into the combustion chamber and get hit by the rising piston. This can cause severe damage which can be expensive to repair.

Some engines have timing belts and some having timing chains. The belts are quieter but in the past decade, many manufacturers have reverted to chains which can now be made less noisy. Chains can last very long and are less likely to snap but belts will have to be replaced at some time.

Very often, you will find that when you change the timing belt at a private workshop, chances are they may change only the belt, which is why it is cheap. If you go to an official service centre, they are required to change not just the belt but also related parts which will also have worn out. These usually come in a kit so that is where the extra cost comes from.

You can change just the belt but if the other parts are worn out and not changed, then the belt will wear out faster instead. For a major change like timing belt, I would prefer to go to an authorised workshop which has the correct equipment. Other things like spark plug or oil change, no problem, can go anywhere.

jhayi - 28/02/2011 15:39:24

How important is the TIMING BELT on hilux   Hi folks,
My lux already at  146,000++km and time to change timing belt.

1) How critical is the timing belt ?
     My mechanic mention worse case when timing belt snap,
      the engine will stop but car will gracefully slow down to a halt.
      Unlike the "proton iswara" when timing belt snap , the engine block
      incur heavy damange..!

2) Why hilux still using a belt while the VIOS using a belt (no need
     to change) ?

3) Change timing belt at Toyota service centre cost=Rm1,000++
     while outside cost about half the amount.
     Any advise whether to change at the centre or outside..?

Any comments kindly appreciated.

Thanks/rgds
jhayi
jhayi (Melaka)