Toyota Hilux
Toyota Hilux
SUVs & Pick-Ups > Toyota Hilux > COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX View modes: 
Razzd - 04/11/2010 4:39:45

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   Dyno results should be done on the same machine before & after, for optimum results. As I've shared this before, no particular dyno is "superior" to another. Just different calibration results in different readings. It is up to you to believe what the results show, and whether your car/vehicle after dyno is what it claims when you actually take it to the road.

Also, I was referring to Power Lab's DMS Kit; the Kit comprises of the DMS Module, FPC and Boost Cut modules. That is why it's > RM4k; 3 modules.

BoostSpeed is a separate entity on its own.

tazztham - 01/11/2010 23:42:31

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   hi daniel,

your calculation is correct based on what you describe.  doing dyno must be done with a same unit before n after tuning.  sometime the dyno might be out in term of calibration and linearity also might out.  so it is relative.

typically dyno got 2 type... retarded (powered) or inertia.

daniel2993 - 25/10/2010 19:58:41

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   Hi everybody,

Regarding to the dyno machine, I'm just a lame man who doesn't know whats dynomic nor dynojet. All the while I thought there's only one kind of dyno. After reading this post, I too have doubt on the dyno reading, based on all the guru's input here, but after browsing the HPS website it show on the PC that it register 82.5whp and 228nm (Before DMS) on wheels. If the dyno reading is slightly 10 - 12% higher (After DMS), so is the reading before dyno too. It should be registering eg; 82.5whp + 12% = 92.4whp or 228nm + 12% = 255.36nm. Can someone explain, whether I'm wrong or whatsoever in this calculation? or am I confusing myself

van_es - 14/09/2010 17:23:52

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   Hi jeffery99b,

I'm new with the performance boxes too. I think you must be referring the fuel pressure controller, which the set that you currently have (<RM1300). It's plug and play and connected to the commonrail right?

Well, Powerlab has an equivalent product to your current set, which is called Powerlab FPC.

Since you have the equivalent set (worth <RM1300) with the Powerlab FPC, then the DMS is an upgrade to step up a higher level of power and torque.

The DMS is connected at other points, which means, your current set can work together with the DMS since they are not sharing the same plug. You may install DMS (no need to unplug your current set) in the future and I'm sure, you will be amazed with the new power which is different than your set alone.

I think Powerlab complete set product is the best value around (Price more less RM4k 1 whole set). I use another product equivalent to Powerlab set (Powerlab has 3 types of products), yet it is way too expensive compared to Powerlab product.

So, when you are ready to gain more power after, you should install the DMS.

Cheers!

jeffrey99b - 14/09/2010 16:50:41

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX  
Razzd wrote: Power Lab's DMS kit expected to be above RM4k. I don't have the latest pricing, perhaps you could email Philip "Monster Triton" at philip_massoud@hotmail.com

Power Lab's DMS is really expensive. My current set only cost less than RM1300 with installation and the results are faster pickup and acceleration and the casing is also water proof.  

Razzd - 31/08/2010 16:28:22

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   Power Lab's DMS kit expected to be above RM4k. I don't have the latest pricing, perhaps you could email Philip "Monster Triton" at philip_massoud@hotmail.com

jeffrey99b - 30/08/2010 10:30:03

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   My Hilux 2.5D D4D commonrail diesel with ERC piggy back ECU installed (Plug and Play) can give me extra 30% increase in horpower and torque and cheaper than Vector. How much is the Power Lab ECU piggy back for Toyota Hilux cost?

ci freakin password - 05/08/2010 15:44:38

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   Hahaha. bro, it is the only way to explain how my turbo exploded.  The fins went missing. Maybe some went into the combustion chamber, but fingers crossed, the engine still performs well. I need Mr Lucas oil next service. Saving money for it.

nah, that was old story, power drop, I am sure now, the power drop is non exsistent. Bro, it wasn't me that asked about the jaggered curve. I was/ still are amazed by the quick spooling nature of ball bearing chargers. The dyno chart always show quicker spool up and longer peak power as compared to journal bearing type.

I agree with you completely. Tuner = doctor. You dont ask a veterinarian to look at your ilness. You ask a GP doc.

Razzd - 04/08/2010 15:05:05

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX   I would go along with CI's comment(s). The dyno chart looks a little off IMHO.

Anyway CI remember you asked me last year regarding the earlier dyno chart I shared with you guys, that time I had the GT2560 turbo and boost was stock (i.e. approx 0.7-0.8bar) with Vector it showed 139whp and approx 400Nm torque, well you asked why the irregularities of the "curve", because of our gear shifts, i.e. power & torque drops, more often you see a "smooth" power/torque curve because the program i.e. Dynojet or DD applys a smoothing curve to even out the drops. The main drawback of our Lux is the 4-speed gearbox... everytime she shifts there is a noticable power/torque drop esp on 3rd going to 4th at 80-85km/h. That sucks, really.

I like your comment: lol
1) the darn stock engine. Non intercooled, the turbo is so so tiny, that running at high boost for a long period of time = Hiroshima/ Nagasaki.
Well said, CI.
Anyway, Philip MT has reiterated again & again, the tuner plays a very important role in determining the final result. My only regret in fitting the DMS Monster Kit is I cannot get Philip to tune my 2KD to it's fullest because I just cannot find the time to drive to Bangkok, and he's not coming down to KL at the moment.

ci freakin password - 03/08/2010 11:48:11

RE:COMMON RAIL DIESEL TUNING BOX  

I'm not referring to the Toyota ECU that is limiting the power from the Hilux fitted with powerlab goodies. I was just saying that the output that he/she (if that person is a she... i would go..hello....) got was way lower than what he/she was expecting. If the stock dyno is off by a certain percentage, the same applies to the "after" dyno. Having said that, I am sure that the final output would be more than those who install the FPC only. Any brand would be the same. The difference would be the ability to tune it to the max..etc. I don't know about Vector, but there are a few tuner that uses the same box/ design as yours. Thai brand. Also tuneable. Not unplug and plug type. Laptop tuning. Power wise, it is not as powerful/ as tuneable as the Powerlab/ equivalent. The biggest difference is, as you put it..a plug and play type. Not to say the powerlab/ equivalent is not... just that it is price prohibitive to do the original plugs, and the majority of Thai customers want it cheap. So they do away with the plug and play thing. Also, compared to others, just by opening the hood, we can see the tuning box. The DMS FPC doesn't show itself. You can hide it wherever you want it.
The guy's ( i made up my mind is a he, because a she won't be that intersted in sharing a tuning kit, she would be more interested in sharing shopping tips) DMS package installed at Sunway wasn't showing a high output probably because the tuner doesn't want to stress the turbo/engine, or it was the tuner's limitation. 

Tham, anything... i mean anything would have a limit switch/ "guardian" to it. Even the engine, if all else fails, the water plugs will pop out to relieve the pressure. Same with the commonrail pressure line. Unless you find the way to override it. Or knowing the limit. The Thai guys have done hundreds of trucks, they know the limit, they know when to stop. My tuner's supplier don't have such problem, they are the most well known brand in Thailand, the one he installed for me doesn't have such problem. We don't need to tune it to the max to gain such horsepower. It is the package bro. i don't have issues with the ECU treshold. Although there are a few things that has  very low treshold for me.
1) the darn stock engine. Non intercooled, the turbo is so so tiny, that running at high boost for a long period of time = Hiroshima/ Nagasaki.
2)the autobox. 
3)my wallet/ bank account.

Although Thais love to tune The D-max, not the malaysian type, the VGT type, torque king even with stock turbo, they also prefer Tritons. Not because they have lower ECU treshold , but beacuse they have a good base to work with. No need to change this, change that. As for Hilux, if you go Razzd's route, it would be as tuneable as any other make.

Every product has their own advantage, for you, people will buy it beacuse it is hastle free, and it is proven to increase power.You can unplug it anytime you want. No need to snip snip solder solder. For me, if they have a plug and play system, I am all for it. My ECU wires are like the tentacles of paul the octopus, tapping here and there. Not properly aligned. Messy.

* me not selling any ECU/ piggyback here, just want to defend that the Hilux is as tuneable as others. U can use brand X, Y, Z whatever. Your hard earned money.  Just know the limit. 

good dai....